Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Got (Raw) Milk?


Wherever I turn lately, it seems that someone is talking about raw milk or the cyclone of questions surrounding this mysterious white substance. What is it? Where do I get it? What are the benefits? Why is it illegal? Is it safe? Should I? Shouldn’t I?

Raw milk is exactly that, raw. This means it hasn’t been pasteurized (heating until at least 130 degrees), homogenized (process that prevents milk from separating and cream rising to the top), or frozen.

Currently selling raw milk for human consumption is indeed illegal in 42 states including Illinois. Why? That really depends on who you ask. There are some conspiracy theorists that claim our excessive dependency of the pharmaceutical industry stifles our chances of benefitting from the natural beauty of raw milk.

There is a long list of health benefits linked to a diet which includes raw milk ranging from increased digestive enzyme activity to elevated resistance to many common viruses. Safety is common concern for many raw milk virgins. Like anything, the safety of the product lies in the safety of the source itself. If the cows are healthy and eating a clean diet, their milk is healthy and clean as well.

Ann Monroe of MSN.com states "…after illegal drugs… (raw milk) may be the most briskly traded underground commodity in America…." For more information on how you can score your own stash please visit: http://www.realmilk.com/where2.html#il

Still deciding if you are a should I or shouldn’t I? I am personally in the should I/not yet column but am certainly looking forward to scoring my first fix!

Share your thoughts on the Raw Milk Movement.
For some more info, check out http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1598525,00.html

No comments:

Post a Comment