Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Hold on Tight, Girls!

Not me and my boyfriend!
Courtesy of Women's Health Magazine


Leafing through my November issue of Women's Health magazine "Have Amazing Sex All Month Long" stood before me on the glossy page. Of course I had to read further, a woman has needs after all! I was surprised to see a very thorough outline of a women's cycle, with all of the hormonal ebbs and flows. Are all women riding this roller coaster of hormones? After two years of taking, gulp, "The Pill" I couldn't help but feel a bit nostalgic for the creativity surge during ovulation and that reflective time before menstruation. My hormones have been at a steady baseline - sometimes I feel jealous when Ashley claims to be suffering from PMS. Looks like a classic case of the grass is always greener.

My mom is a pusher (in the most loving way) when it comes to books with a spiritual well-being premise, I often have a hard time keeping up with the stack on my nightstand, but was changed forever when I came across Dr. Christiane Northrup's Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom. After reading this book, I felt like I really understood my own body for the first time. I had an overwhelming sense of respect for myself as a woman, I feel proud.

Dr. Northrup goes to great lengths explaining what our bodies experience while on the pill - none of it being natural in any sense of the word. How do we balance the struggle of honoring our bodies while maintaining our needs? I guess we each need to answer that for ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment