Thursday, January 14, 2010

One Small Change


Our Earth has a special place in my heart - it's our home.  That's why it's important for me to teach my  kids how to love where they live, appreciate the nature, how to reduce, reuse, recycle and how to save our natural resources as best as we can.  This is all in hopes that they will be responsible earth friendly adults.

My friend, Sarah, introduced me to a blog called Hip Mountain Mama.  The site is filled with loads of great natural products and ideas on how we can help save our planet and enjoy nature with family.   Suzy, the hip mountain mama, posted a challenge on her site - to make ONE SMALL CHANGE each month leading up to Earth Day, April 22nd. The mission - to create a community of individuals who want to make a positive green impact.  Her thought is if everyone makes 4 changes between the months of January to April, this could have a huge effect.  I couldn't agree more, which is why I decided to participate in this fantastic endeavor.

Our family partakes in recycling, reusing, and reducing by using cloth napkins, diapers, and cleaning rags as much as possible.  We use environmentally safe cleaning products. (I make my own using Castile soap and water - it works like a charm!) We also walk or ride our bikes (when weather permits) and our thermostat is as low as we can stand it - we dress in layers and wear warm slippers.


The change my family is going to make for Month 1 is in combination with one of my 2010 resolutions: to clear my home of clutter - basically get rid of anything my family does not need or that doesn't bring us joy.  I am going to donate the stuff to the local Salvation Army, freecycle it or list it on Craigslist.

I am going to start in my living room and work my way around my home.  I don't think this will be an easy task, but I am determined and will let you know my progress.

Let the GAMES BEGIN!

1 comment:

  1. This is a really great idea! I have had this on the mind for a while...we do have a lot of stuff that has accumulated and we are not using. Why not pass it on to others who will use it!
    Thanks for joining the challenge!!
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete